top of page

Could you be exempt from paying Council Tax?

With council tax charges rising its worth checking the situations when you might be entitled to an exemption.


You won't pay Council Tax if:


·        you live in a care home

·        you are in hospital on a permanent basis

·        your home is unoccupied because you have gone to live somewhere else to provide or receive personal care due to age, illness or disability

·        your home is wholly occupied by one or more people who have a severe mental impairment (e.g. dementia). If you live with someone who has dementia, then you’ll be treated as a sole occupant as they will be disregarded, but you won’t be exempt.

1 view

Recent Posts

See All

Planning for Old Age

Planning remains one of the biggest challenges for the senior housing market as councils across England remain unprepared to provide suitable accommodation. Research by property consultancy Knight Fra

All Time Low Care Satisfaction

New findings from the British Social Attitudes survey, published by the Nuffield Trust and The King’s Fund, show that public satisfaction with social care services has dropped to just 13 per cent, the

How England compares to other UK Home nations

England’s system of means-testing for care of those who meet eligibility criteria is by far the least generous of the four UK nations. While Northern Ireland operates the same capital thresholds for c


bottom of page