top of page

Ask Our Advisers - Investment Bond Disregards

"When my dad died he had all his savings in an investment bond with Prudential and mum inherited this. She has used the fund to support her income but she does now need to move into a care home as her needs have increased. I am planning to cash in the bond to pay her fees but I am not sure if this is the best option?"

This type of bond is a life assurance contract and its treated as a disregarded asset under the local authority means test but only while it is held in the bond. So don’t sell it until you have taken advice on your mother’s specific situation as she may be entitled to funding support from her local authority.


Recent Posts

See All

The Latest Care Numbers

The number of people using council-arranged long-term adult social care in England grew in 2022-23 following years of decline, official data has shown. Overall, 835,335 people received long-term care

Home Care Costs

The average cost of home care is £18 to £20 an hour, meaning that two hours a day of help can cost £14,500 a year. Source: Just

Balancing Work and Care

Working as well as caring for someone can be a lot to handle at once. But knowing your rights and the possible options for flexible working could help. If you've been working for your employer for six

bottom of page