top of page

Ask our Advisers - Can I get any financial help?

I have had to give up my job to care for my mum. I am under retirement age so can’t claim my pension. Can I get any financial help?

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit which you may qualify for. It is for people who are giving regular and substantial care to disabled people. The benefit is £69.70 per week and counts as taxable income.

You can usually get Carer’s Allowance if you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a disabled person and you don't earn more than £132 a week from employment or self-employment – after deductions such as income tax and National Insurance.

The person you're caring for must get a 'qualifying benefits' such as Attendance Allowance or the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment.

To make a claim for Carer's Allowance you can visit GOV.UK and apply online or alternatively, download and print a Carer's Allowance claim form, fill it in and send it by post.

You can't make a claim by phone but if you need help making your claim, contact the Carer's Allowance Unit on 0800 731 0297.


Recent Posts

See All

Planning for Old Age

Planning remains one of the biggest challenges for the senior housing market as councils across England remain unprepared to provide suitable accommodation. Research by property consultancy Knight Fra

All Time Low Care Satisfaction

New findings from the British Social Attitudes survey, published by the Nuffield Trust and The King’s Fund, show that public satisfaction with social care services has dropped to just 13 per cent, the

How England compares to other UK Home nations

England’s system of means-testing for care of those who meet eligibility criteria is by far the least generous of the four UK nations. While Northern Ireland operates the same capital thresholds for c


bottom of page